- Thistle’s checkout page was highly complex and featured a number of distracting elements.
- A number of cross-sell and upsell modules, intended to increase booking values, became obstacles that stood in the way of guests completing their bookings.
- The sequence of information was fragmented and confusing, slowing the user’s progress towards booking confirmation.
- Too many users were exiting without converting.
Phase 1: Reduce friction caused by complex forms & distracting content modules
- Optimising the checkout form layout and placement of cross-sell modules we were able to improve guest's eyeflow, speeding up the user journey through checkout, making it easier for them to complete their bookings.
Phase 2: Managing user expectations to reduce anxiety
- Incorporating trust factors like Best Price Guarantees, secure payment icons and in-line payment and cancellation terms reduced the perceived risk of completing the booking.
- Adding just a touch more detail to the booking summary provided clarity and reassurance around what exactly the guests were paying for.
Phase 3: Optimising cross-sell & promotional modules to maximise booking value
- After optimising the checkout for its primary goal (to drive bookings) our focus shifted to increasing the revenue per booking on the site.
- Optimising the placement of offers to capture users' attention, and using relevant imagery to create an emotional connection with the offers resulted in an overall £72 increase in average booking value.
Read more success stories:
Download the Thistle case study
Want to discover more? Click here to download a detailed case study PDF.